Location: Canterbury, Kent
Salary: From £35,000.00 per year DOE (From £35,000.00 per year DOE)
Job Type: Permanent
Orbital Internet Group is one of the UK’s fastest growing and largest, Kent based, ISP’s offering a wide spectrum of Internet solutions at affordable prices to residential and business users. Orbital Internet Group has rapidly built one of the UK's most sophisticated WiMAX class networks, providing thousands of end user's with ultra-fast internet access. We operate a national IP backbone spanning multiple datacentre’s, telephone exchanges and core POP sites. We provide services to customers in the UK as well as internationally.
Orbital Internet Group is now looking to employ a Senior Network Engineer to help maintain our core network as well as help develop new solutions.
We are a forward-thinking company and thrive on our ability to provide bespoke internet connectivity solutions. Our can-do attitude, and exposure to varying internet technologies, makes this role an exciting challenge for the right candidate.
The right candidate will have the chance to work in our purpose-built modern office based just outside of Canterbury and should have had experience of working in a senior network engineer role. Split home working is also possible with this position. You will be required to work 37.5 hours a week and will include out of hours work and on call.
This is an excellent opportunity to join a dynamic company who are playing a crucial part in the underpinning network infrastructure of the internet and play a key role in maintaining and developing our network capability.
Candidate Profile & Attributes
· Expertise on latest Extreme & Cisco hardware and operating systems (SLX-OS, IOS)
· Knowledge of Mikrotik and Ubiquiti product set and configuration
· IP internetworking and Routing & Switching
· Expert level internetworking troubleshooting in a large-scale network environment
· WAN circuits and protocols (Ethernet, MPLS)
· Dynamic IP Routing protocols (OSPF, ISIS, BGP)
· Expertise in AS connectivity (eBGP, MPLS)
· Excellent design documentation skills
· Experience of Ticket Management applications
· Strong knowledge of VOIP and its associated protocols
· Layer 1 Understanding of fibre / copper cabling, constraints, technologies, grades, distances, applications
· Knowledge of network management, network availability and capacity planning applications and techniques
· Extensive expertise with general firewall configuration and support, including IPsec VPN configuration and troubleshooting
· Strong experience in network traffic monitoring, analysis, packet capture, and troubleshooting
· Solid understanding of enterprise ISP facing services including migration of services to Next-Gen network technologies, including the implementation of new DDOS platforms
· Understanding in Incident, Problem and Change Management
· Some scripting skills would be desirable
· A practical, hands-on approach to problem solving with the ability to work effectively under pressure
· An ability to recognise issues that have a wider implication and acting upon them
· A love for emerging technologies to help strive the business forward
· Self-motivated, willing to take responsibility, work with minimum supervision and able to lead the resolution of issues through to final resolution.
· Reporting directly to the Technical Director, you will be responsible for delivering implementation projects, including upgrading, managing and fault finding on our core network.
· Configuration and management of a range of IP network equipment from multiple vendors as required for ongoing operation of the service
· Reviewing, accepting and modifying new design concepts from the engineering teams and 2nd line engineers to ensure they are fit for purpose and can be supported in the live network without compromising the network availability
· Handle escalations from our 1st/2nd support line team where necessary.
· Provide technical expertise in special and bespoke projects.
· Configure and maintain network automation platforms.
· Ongoing day-to-day Network maintenance.
· Hands-on complex engineering, including heavy maintenance work.
· Provide out of hours support to the NOC as part of the on-call operations engineering team
· Providing training and knowledge transfer to other team members when new technology or systems are deployed to the network
· Proactive identification of potential issues in the network and subsequent implementation of corrective action plan
· Own core network monitoring to ensure full visibility and reporting
· Managing the existing change control process